The Nigerian Government has condemned the attacks on some Nigerian traders in Ghana.
The Chairman Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, NIDCOM, Honourable Abike Dabiri-Erewa, condemned the renewed attacks saying it is uncalled for.
In a statement by the Commission’s Head of Media and Public Relations, Abdur-Rahman Balogun “the reported cases of attacks on Nigerian shops and traders by Ghanaians were quite unfortunate.”
She said the attacks came when xenophobic attacks was becoming unpopular and thought such attacks had been put to the dustbin of history following interventions by Nigerian and Ghanaian leaders.
She however, appealed to Nigerians in Ghana, especially the shop owners, not to take laws into their hands by trying to revenge, but to remain calm and allow law enforcement agents to deal with the situation.
“I hereby appeal for calm from both sides and implore the law enforcement agencies to protect the lives and properties of Nigerians pending the resolution of the matter.” She said.
How we got here
Earlier on Monday, there were reported cases of clashes between Ghanaian and Nigerian traders which resulted in the arrest of six people while others sustained injury.
It was alleged that the fight erupted after some shops belonging to some Nigerian traders were closed down at the Kwame Nkrumah Circle in Ghana.
There has been tension between Ghanaian and Nigerian traders in recent times when over 600 shops belonging to Nigerian traders in Kumasi and other areas were shut this year allegedly by the Ghana Union of Traders Association, GUTA.
Ghanaian traders have recently felt foreigners, particularly Nigerians, Chinese and Lebanese have taken over their retail business.