About 32 persons were killed, while 84 others were injured when six suicide bombers detonated Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs), in Damboa local government area in Borno state late on Saturday.
According to the News Agency of Nigeria, NAN, Buba Shettima, a witness, said that two separate bomb blasts occurred in Shuwari and Abbachari, at about 8:30 p.m.
“The whole of Damboa was shaken by the unfortunate incident. We all scampered for safety as the blasts were coming from different directions.”
Mohammed Hassan, another local said:”The attacks came from two separate directions. My house was among some of the houses destroyed.
Maj.-Gen. Rogers Nicholas, commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, denied some claims that the killings were caused by military artillery.
“There was nothing like an attack from the military artillery. You can see the pictures of six female bombers who detonated their explosives and as a result, 20 persons were killed while others were injured,” he said.
Rogers urged people to disregard the claim.
Modu-Zannah Maina, the District Head of Damboa, who described the incident as “shocking and disturbing” confirmed the attack was perpetrated by female suicide bombers.
Maina lamented that a lot of people that were affected were mostly children adding that many victims were injured.
“We are here in this hospital to check our people affected by Saturday’s bomb blasts. So far, the victims have been responding to treatment,”he said.
Police, rescue efforts
Meanwhile, Damian Chukwu, the Borno Commissioner of Police, said “On Saturday, at about 2045hrs, an explosion occurred at Abachari area, in the outskirt of Damboa L.G.A. of Borno State.
“At the sound of the explosion, personnel of the Nigeria Police and Members of the civilian JTF mobilised to the scene and discovered twenty dead bodies and 48 injured persons in a suspected terrorist attack.
“The wounded and the dead were evacuated to a hospital while the scene was sanitised by a deployment of police EOD unit.
“Investigation is ongoing to unravel the nature of the attack,”he said.
Hajiya Yabawa Kolo, the Chairperson of the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), who also confirmed the incident, said the agency had deployed its personnel to evacuate wounded persons to the hospital for quick medical attention.
“Our team has been deployed to render life saving support to the victims of the blast. As you can see, they have been tirelessly working with ICRC since morning to evacuate the injured from the airport to the hospital.
“We are all saddened by the unfortunate incident that occurred in Damboa,”said Kolo.