Ghana’s COVID-19 cases rise to 20,085; High School infected


Ghana coronavirus cases has risen to 20,085, high school infected, prez in isolation, June has started with progressive lifting of more virus restrictions.

President Akufo-Addo in his tenth address announced “that whiles borders remained closed, some categories of academic institutions are allowed to resume, religious places can also reopen with strict conditions and the observance of health protocols”.

Social gatherings, weddings, funerals etc are to be allowed under certain conditions – among others with maximum 100 participants.

As the 2020 polls loom, even political activity is allowed to be undertaken.

This article will be focused on tracking case increases and major developments from the West African country, it will build on our April May 2020 updates page.

The number of cases in the country passed the 20,000 mark, only the fourth African country to hit that figure, behind South Africa, Egypt and Nigeria.

Ghana has thus consolidated its place as Africa’s fourth most-impacted country.
Recoveries are heading to the 15,000 mark whiles deaths are at 122 according to records released on Sunday, July 5.

President Akufo-Addo is on self-isolation after a close aide tested positive for COVID-19, the information ministry announced over the weekend.

Parents have thronged a school in the capital Accra after reports emerged that six students of Accra Girls High School had contracted the virus.

A batch of final year students resumed classes last week as government continued to ease lockdown measures.

Meanwhile, concerns continue to be raised over ongoing voter registration exercise which many fear could lead to spike in cases across the country.

Most people visiting these centers have openly flouted mask wearing orders and physical distancing rules.

Total confirmed cases = 20,085; Total recoveries = 14,870; Total deaths = 122; Active cases = 5,093.

Parents of final year and Gold Track second year students of the Accra Girls Senior High School are demanding an immediate release of their wards from the school following an alleged outbreak of COVID-19 in the school, reportedly contracted by six students and one teacher.