Simon Halep is trying to look on the bright side regarding the suspension of the tennis season due to the coronavirus pandemic, which means at least she will be referred to as reigning Wimbledon champion for two years.
The Romanian former world number produced a flawless performance to beat Serena Williams in last year’s final but this week’s cancellation of the grasscourt Grand Slam means she will not get to defend her title this summer.
Halep, 28, is currently back in her native Romania where she has been locked down at home for 22 days, only popping out briefly to jog around the grounds of her residence.
Asked about the Wimbledon cancellation, announced on Wednesday, Halep told Eurosport’s Tennis Legends vodcast: “I take it positively, because I am now the defending champion for two years. So, I have to live with that for one more year so that’s a good thing again.
After so many years jet-setting around the globe, Halep said the enforced time off from the Tour had been welcome in some respects, even if the circumstances were dreadful.
“It’s the longest period that I haven’t touched a racket. Not the ball, the racket — since Dubai,” she said.
“And I want to keep it that way for one more month.