The Nigeria Football Federation have confirmed the list of 23 players that will defend the colours of the country at the upcoming Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt, with Leicester City’s Kelechi Iheanacho and Rotherham United’s Semi Ajayi axed from the provisional roster.
The Super Eagles begin their quest for a fourth African title when they tackle Burundi at the Alexandria Stadium, Alexandria on June 22.
1) There are twenty players in line to make their maiden appearance at the Africa Cup of Nations. John Obi Mikel, Kenneth Omeruo and Ahmed Musa were part of the 2013 AFCON winning squad.
2) Nine players have been named on Nigeria’s roster for previous FIFA U20 World Cups : Akpeyi, Ezenwa, Shehu, Omeruo, Mikel, Ndidi, Musa, Simon, Ighalo
3) With 87 caps, John Obi Mikel is the most experienced player in the squad, followed by Ahmed Musa (82) and Kenneth Omeruo (45).
4) Eleven players in the squad have less than 15 caps : Uzoho, Akpeyi, Ezenwa, Awaziem, Collins, Aina, Onyekuru,Kalu, Chukwueze, Osimhen, Onuachu.
5) As at June 10, 2019, the average age of the squad is 24.91 years, with goalkeeper Daniel Akpeyi the oldest at 32 years, 10 months and 7 days.
6) Villarreal’s Samuel Chukwueze is the only player in the squad yet to play a competitive game for the Super Eagles.
7) The squad contains players that ply their trade in 14 different countries : Cyprus, South Africa, Nigeria, Italy (2), Turkey (3), England (5), Spain (3), Germany, Israel, Saudi Arabia, Belgium, China, France, Denmark.