The Lagos State government has confirmed another building collapse on Monday.
The collapse, which was a three-storey building located at 50, Kakawa Street, Campos, Lagos Island had no casualty.
Lagos state Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, Prince Rotimi Ogunleye said due to the incident, government has urged occupants of marked distressed buildings across the State to immediately vacate them pending the arrival of the demolition team of Lagos State Building Control Agency (LASBCA).
Ogunleye said that relief and resettlement centres have been opened to accommodate those affected.
“The building in question had been identified as distressed by the officers of the LASBCA and all the necessary statutory notices had been duly served. It was one of the defective structures marked for removal by the Agency.
“Fortunately, occupants had been evacuated before the incidents occurred. Immediately, the Lagos State Rescue Team and LASBCA were alerted and they moved to site promptly to check all adjoining buildings so as to evacuate the occupants to avoid any further hazards.” he said
Already 25 buildings have been removed by LASBCA as the Government has stepped up measures to rid the State of distressed buildings so as to prevent loss of lives and property due to sudden collapse in the State.
It would be recalled that an incident of collapsed building at Ita-Faaji area of Lagos recently claimed about 20 lives, majorly children, while about 45 others sustained degrees of injuries.