Four-time Olympic gold medalist Mo Farah says he has suffered “financially and emotionally” in the fallout from his former coach Alberto Salazar being banned for doping violations.
This is however in spite of the fact that the Briton has not been implicated.
American Salazar was banned for four years by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency last year for “orchestrating and facilitating prohibited doping conduct” as head coach of the Nike Oregon Project.
It was a camp designed mainly to develop U.S. endurance athletes.
Salazar has denied any wrongdoing and appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) against his ban.
But Farah said on Saturday that he had suffered as sponsors backed out while he constantly had to defend himself.
“If I wasn’t Mo Farah and I saw Mo Farah and I’m seeing these headlines… I’d ask the same questions,” said Farah, who has never failed a drugs test and has not been accused of any wrongdoing.
“I’m just being honest. I’ve got nothing to hide.
“I don’t want to go into any more detail but there’s been a lot of stuff, financially and emotionally, where I have suffered a lot.”
Farah worked with Salazar from 2011 to 2017 and said he initially stuck around as he had a family to take care of before eventually returning to England in late 2017.
“He also hadn’t been found guilty (at the time),” Farah said.
“And it wasn’t just about me. As a single man I could have just said `move’… I had four kids, three at school, my wife’s there, we’d bought a house.
“I’m not just going to say, `There’s been some allegations, we’re going.”