Nigeria advised to pay attention to herbal medicine

Abiola Olowe, Ibadan

0
378

Government at all levels in Nigeria have been advised to give more attention to exploration of herbal medicine in order to ensure steady economic growth and improved health care among the people.

The president of YemKem Group, Dr Akintunde Ayeni made this plea at a lecture delivered at Nigeria Union of Journalists, NUJ  Oyo State Council secretariat in commemoration of the 2018 Gastronomy Day.

At the lecture entitled ‘Nature and Human Health’, Dr Ayeni disclosed that Nigeria was endowed with lots of natural medicines with the capacity to cure many serious and life threatening ailments which have defied interventions from orthodox medicine.

Some of such ailments include ‘social psychiatry, hypertension, diabetes, epilepsy and other psychosomatic diseases’.

Prioritise development of herbal medicine
He then called on governments at all levels to prioritise development of herbal medicine through inventory and documentation of medicinal plants and herbs, establishment of local botanical gardens; establishment of potent regulatory body for traditional medicine practise; as well as setting up of testing laboratories with adequate facilities to ensure quality control in herbal production.

Dr. Ayeni reiterating on tremendous improvement on packaging strategies noted that herbal medicine practitioners across the country have taken measured steps to address the fears among the public on measurement, dosage, preparation, documentation, preservation, potency, and determination of side effects of traditional medical care.

He assured the public that more than 70% of the shortcomings have been rectified while the remaining 30% was receiving required attention.

The chairman of the occasion, Chief Taiye Ayorinde, urgedNigerians to take advantage of the efficacy of traditional medicine if they desire to live long.

He added that application of herbs rescued him from outright blindness while growing up as a child.

The Oyo State Chairman of NUJ, Mr. Adewumi Faniran, said that alternative medicine has the potential to heal every affliction ravaging the country and its people, if only it is given the right attention.

Confidence Okwuchi