Nigeria to review ownership structure of Electricity DisCos

By Cyril Okonkwo. Edited by Amaka Nliam.

0
79
Gov. El-Rufai also heads the National Executive Council (NEC) Committee to review the ownership structure of electricity distribution companies in Nigeria.

Nigeria is to review the ownership structure of electricity distribution companies (“DisCos”) in a bid to resolve the country’s power issues.

This was disclosed by Gov. El-Rufai, at the National Economic Council (NEC) meeting presided over by Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo.

An Electricity Transformer

The distribution of electricity in Nigeria is carried out by the 11 successor distribution companies (“Discos”). The Discos are all jointly owned by the Federal Government and private investors, with each investor holding 60% and the Federal Government the remaining 40%.

According to Gov. El-Rufai, who heads the NEC Committee to review the ownership structure of electricity distribution companies, the committee presented a report at the Council’s meeting, recommending the calling of memoranda from Nigerians on ways to solve the problem in electricity.

He said the Council approved that adverts be placed in the media, inviting anyone with a view and knowledgeable to contribute towards solving the problem in the sector.

“We hope that when we receive these memoranda, we will curate them, analyze them and summarize and various suggestions and solutions will be published as part of our report to the NEC who can then go to the government of the federation for decision. 

“The objective is how we fix the power sector. 

“This is the question we want to ask every Nigerian and we want suggestions, we want experiences and we want names named. 

“We want everything out there and we will protect the confidentiality of everyone that chooses to give us confidential information.”

He noted that the problem in the power sector was complex and required all the technical and general opinions needed to fix it.

Amaka E. Nliam