Nigerian government reaffirms support for locally made products    

Toyin Ajadi

0
187

Toyin Ajadi,Lagos.

The Nigerian government has reiterated its commitment to providing assistance to guarantee the growth of locally made products and ensure it meets global standards.

President Muhammadu Buhari gave the assurance while declaring open the 33rd edition of Lagos International Trade Fair hosted by the Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry LCCI.

The President, who was represented by the Minister of state for Trade and Investment, Mrs. Maryam Katagum, urged Nigerians to support the small scale enterprises by patronising “made in Nigeria” products and services. Katagum said “we must accept our new reality of promoting locally made products as it is evident that this is where our new Nigeria would be realised and that is why I have constantly emphasized that we must be a nation where we grow what we eat and consume what we produce.”           

 The Minister said the nation’s drive for self sufficiency has led to an agricultural reawakening which without doubt remains our most viable option for economic diversification as a government and a nation.”   

The trade fair themed ‘Connecting Businesses, Creating Value’ will run for a total of 10 days at the Tafawa Balewa Square, Onikan in Lagos.
     

 In this same view, the Lagos state government through its deputy governor, Mr. Obafemi Hamzat assured the business community of its efforts at ensuring that the business environment is made more conducive for businesses to thrive.

While noting that the private sector controls 85 percent of the economy leaving government with 15 percent, Hamzat said “all we need to do is make it easier for business to thrive, security to be in place and for people to do their business rightly

Exhibitors and visitors from Nigeria and across the world are expected to participate in the 10-day event. The fair is expected to provide an avenue for networking and other business opportunities.