Rescuers dig for bodies after Philippines landslide

0
390

At least 32 people in the mining town of Itogon, in Benguet province, were crushed in a single shelter in a landslide that hit parts of the Philippines following Typhoon Mangkhut.

Rescuers are digging through mud to retrieve bodies buried by the landslide.

Teams are digging through the rubble with their bare hands, passing blocks of concrete and pieces of wood down a 50ft line to clear the area.
Typhoon Mangkhut is now weakening over southern China.
Four people were killed in the province of Guangdong – three by falling trees.

The storm ploughed across the main Philippine island of Luzon over the weekend. More than 60 people have been killed, mostly in landslides triggered by heavy rains, with the majority in Benguet province.

A group of artisanal goldminers in the village of Ucab, which lies in a valley in Itogon municipality, had huddled with their families in a two-storey shelter, Conrad Navidad of the International Organization for Migrationsaid.

The building was crushed, and 29 people remain missing.
“It was used as a worship area for the church group of the mine workers and their families,” said Mr Navidad, who was at the scene earlier on Monday.

“Before the typhoon hit, their pastor invited them to take refuge in that bunkhouse – and then the disaster happened and they were buried by the landslide.

The Chamber of Mines of the Philippines said mining operators had been told to leave, AFP news agency reports. It said a mine near the shelter had been operating illegally.
The Philippine government on Monday said it was deploying security forces to put a stop to illegal small-scale mining in northern provinces, a practice which is credited with increasing the likelihood of landslides in communities like Itogon.