Sudan’s ruling military council and main opposition coalition have agreed on a constitutional declaration which will pave way for a new period of transitional government.
African Union mediator Mohamed Lebatt made the announcement early on Saturday, without giving any details.
“I am announcing to the Sudanese, African and international public opinion that the two delegations have fully agreed on the constitutional declaration,” Mr Lebatt said.
He said further meetings would be held to work out the technical details of the signing ceremony, but did not provide any information about the agreement itself.
Sudan has been in ‘turmoil’ since the military ousted President Omar al-Bashir in April.
Protracted talks over the declaration have been held amid much violence.
The long-awaited declaration deal triggered celebrations in Sudan, which has been plunged into months of crisis.
Both sides signed a power sharing accord in July but demonstrators have been waiting since then for more details about the agreement.
Protests first broke out in December after Mr Bashir’s government imposed emergency austerity measures.
He was then overthrown by the military in April after prolonged protests outside the defence ministry in Khartoum.
Demonstrators have since called for ‘authority to be transferred to a civilian administration.‘
The document outlines the terms of a three-year transitional period agreed last month by the military council and opposition leaders.
The power-sharing deal envisages a governing body of six civilians and five generals.