Former world No.1 Caroline Wozniacki only has the Australian Open left before retirement after pulling out of the Kooyong warm-up tournament, which starts on Tuesday.
The Dane said last month she would call time on her career after the grand slam at Melbourne Park, feeling she’d accomplished all she wanted to on the tennis court.
The 29-year-old won her only major singles title in Melbourne in 2018 but fell in the third round last year.
Ranked world No.35, Wozniacki was due to play at Kooyong in a limited women’s field but told organisers yesterday of her withdrawal.
“She’s pulled up a bit sore after playing in Auckland so as a precaution ahead of the Open she’s decided not to play,” tournament director Peter Johnston said.
Wozniacki was eliminated in the semi-finals in Auckland last week by American Jessica Pegula, while she partnered singles champion and good friend Serena Williams in the doubles, with the pair losing the final.
Wozniacki didn’t specify any particular injury.
The Kooyong tournament has become a fluid draw, dependent on the demand for match play as well as injuries.
American Jennifer Brady, who last week defeated Maria Sharapova and Ash Barty in Brisbane, has been added to the field.
World No.8 Matteo Berrettini, a US Open semi-finalist in 2019 and the winner of three ATP titles last year, has also been drafted into the field.
Johnston said Australian drawcard Nick Kyrgios was expected to play on Thursday after his participation in the Rally for Relief tennis fundraiser tomorrow night.
World No.6 Greek Stefano Tsitsipas, who was a late entry, is likely to hit the court at Kooyong tomorrow.