UEFA fines Ronaldo for Simeone-style celebration

0
362

Cristiano Ronaldo has been fined €20,000 by UEFA for his celebration during Juventus’ last-16 Champions League victory over Atletico Madrid.

The 34-year-old fired his side into the quarter-finals with a hat-trick in the second leg in Turin, overturning Atletico’s 2-0 victory from the first leg.

Ronaldo followed one of his goals by copying Atletico manager Diego Simeone’s ‘crotch-grabbing’ celebration from the first leg, for which the latter was given a £17,000 fine.

Simeone said his gesture showed he had the courage to make tough selection decisions. He apologised two days later.

Ronaldo had been charged with improper conduct on Monday, but with the punishment limited to a fine, he will be available for the first leg of Juventus’ quarter-final against Ajax on April 10.

Meanwhile, Ronaldo’s Juventus will play the pre-season International Champions Cup in Asia and not in the United States amid the Portugal star’s rape investigation there, the New York Times has reported.

Most of the matches take place in the United States but organisers are planning to play Juventus’ elsewhere amid Ronaldo’s legal case, eliminating the risk of the Portuguese star being detained by authorities in the US as part of their investigations, the newspaper reported.

Juventus have confirmed their participation in the event with the official programme to be unveiled on March 27.

Juventus’ games will “mostly likely be in China and Singapore”, where they will be joined by Premier League teams Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur, the New York Times said.

Ronaldo, 34, has denied allegations made by former model Kathryn Mayorga that he sexually assaulted her in Las Vegas in 2009.

Las Vegas police asked Ronaldo to submit a DNA sample in January as part of their investigation into rape allegations made against him.

Contacted by AFP, a spokeswoman for Juventus said that “going east to Asia was normal after spending recent preseasons in the United States”.

 

 

 

Jibril .O