The United Nations peacekeeping mission in Mali has sent aerial support to the area where nearly 100 people were killed to prevent a new attack.
A team of UN human rights investigators is also assisting Malian authorities in their investigation of the massacre.
President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita who has been attending a conference in Switzerland, says he is returning to the country on Tuesday.
The government says the perpetrators are suspected terrorists, but an official from the area said he believed members of the Fulani ethnic group were responsible for the attack on the Dogon village.
Members of both communities often clash over access to land and water, but the Dogons also accuse the Fulanis of having ties to extremist groups. Fulanis say that Dogon hunters form militias and attack them.
In March, the slaughter of more than 130 fulani herdsmen in central Mali was blamed by some on the Dogons.
Inter communal violence has increased in recent months and is compounded by the presence of armed groups with ties to al-Qaeda and the Islamic State group.
Last week, the UN warned about the risk of atrocities and called for a redeployment of its peacekeeping forces on the ground to central Mali.